Thursday, April 21, 2011

Weekly Book Review: Stripping Asjiah by Sa'Rese


I usually don’t read urban novels. It’s not that I can’t relate to them, it’s just that I’d felt I’ve seen and read it all before. But when I began reading this book I was hooked from page one.

Stripping Asjiah (pronounced Asia), is the story of a beautiful 17 year old girl, who at the tender age of 8 years old tragically loses her mother, when she is brutally murdered by her estranged father.

On top of that she, along with her older brother Angel, move in with their maternal grandmother, (who they call Marie). There she is viciously raped by her uncle. And to make matters worse, when she tells her Aunt and grandmother what happened to her, they further victimize her by calling her a liar.

With no where to go and no one to turn to Asjiah pours her heart out in her journal and turns to the only people that she thinks she can trust.

That’s all I’m gonna say. Because I don’t want to spoil this book for anyone, but believe me, there is so much more to this novel than what I’ve mentioned so far. I mean I got started reading it as soon as it arrived in the mail and I didn’t put it down until I was done at 12 o’clock the next day.

Stripping Asjiah, was very well written and I loved the pace of the story. It kept me wanting more and I was actually disappointed when it ended. The cast of characters were interesting and the storyline was realistic. As a native Clevelander I loved how she included streets and landmarks in her tale, because it made me feel like I was a part of the story.
Stripping Asjiah is a gritty urban tale set on the back drop of Cleveland’s mean streets.

Stripping Asjiah is Sa’Rese’s first novel.

Order Stripping Asjiah and the sequel, Stripping Asjiah II, which is now available as an e book. You can pre order hard copies of Stripping Asjiah II on Amazon.com also.  I recommend that you order both. Believe me, if you don't, you're gonna wish you had!

Happy reading!

The following is an interview with Sa'Rese, the author of Stripping Asjiah and Stripping Asjiah II:


First of all, I really love the title and the definition you gave for the word
stripping was so fitting to Asjiah's character and the things that she
experiences.

1) What was your inspiration for your main character, Asjiah?
Thank you so much! I wanted a title that would stand out, something unique and that
also had a deeper meaning to the book. My inspiration for Asjiah? Life.
Life and all the things that you hear about, things you see on the
news, read about, things that are hushed and whispered because no
one wants to speak on certain topics.

 
This novel really stands out among the urban fiction that is written today.

2) How would you say Stripping Asjiah differs from other novels of this genre?
Stripping Asjiah differs because it isn't an urban novel. Not to
say that there is anything wrong with urban books but I don't
classify my novel as such simply because it isn't saturated with
the usual, monotonous story line. The characters in the book are easy to
identify with so it allows the reader to feel as though it is more
than just a book.


Stripping Asjiah was such an easy read and you painted a picture that was so
vivid.

3) What was the most difficult thing about bringing this story to life? 
The most difficult thing was me sitting still. Honestly, I am my
own worst critic so the hardest part for me would've been making sure
I didn't get ahead of my thoughts and that everything was depicted the
way I saw it in my mind.


Well, thank you so much for your time. And I wish you much success!

4) Any words of inspiration for my readers and aspiring writers?
Words of inspiration to readers? Keep reading. Society is becoming so lazy
now a day's and people don't read for leisure anymore. I think literature
is a way to escape the mundane. To aspiring writers, be yourself. That's
the best advice I can give. Be yourself and don't allow anyone to write
your story for you.


Sa'Rese, a fresh voice in a literary world of same-old-same old!

May 12th Sarese will be the featured poet at Cover Me Presents
June 2nd is her book release party for Stripping Asjiah II at The Poets Lounge

All of the above events are in Columbus Ohio.  However she is available for booking, signings, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment