Thursday, April 14, 2011

So You Want To be an Author?

Okay, so everyone wants my advice on publishing/writing their novel.  But they are disappointed when they realize that I have very limited information. Please remember that I am just a struggling, self published author selling books out the trunk of my car.
I am still in the learning process myself.  I am willing to share all of my limited knowledge, but at best I can give you my advice on what absolutely not to do (I am an expert on that).
Anyway, my best advice is to write every day.  Make writing a habit
Call it practice.
Make your pen your paint brush and the paper your canvas. 
Everyone has a story to tell and their own special way of expressing themselves.
What is your story?
Become an avid reader. I know that you've heard it before but it's true, reading helps you to learn and to grow.  You may not be able to contact your favorite author and ask them questions or advice.  But you can learn a lot about a writer by the way that they write.
Ask yourself:  What was it about their book that made you enjoy it so much, how did they develop their characters, their story arc? You don't want to mimic their writing, but this will help you to develop and hone your own writing skills.
Go to book signings. Some authors lecture and do question and answer sessions at their book signings. Take notes and be prepared. Write down the questions you'd like to ask.
Attend creative writing classes.  There is so much to learn and being in association with like minded individuals always helps too. Networking is a powerful tool.  You'll really see the value of this after your work is published.
Check out the authors and publishing companies that specialize in your genre when looking for publishers to publish your book. It might not be a good idea to contact a Christian publishing company with your erotic novel.
Do your internet research. There is a wealth of knowledge on the internet.  You just have to do some digging to find it. There are a variety of self publishing outfits out there, but be careful.  Unfortunately, I had to learn "the hard way" (a direct quote from someone who will remain nameless).
In other words it's gonna take some hard work and research. But it is most definitely worth it.  Remember each of us has a story to tell and an audience to tell it to. Don't become discouraged! As with any good work, there will be someone sitting on the sidelines waiting to stomp your fire out.  DON'T LET THEM!
You would be surprised. Discouragement can come in the form of family and friends. But you can do it!
If I can write a book anyone can. But don't be like me. I just jumped in with both feet without doing any research at all. And I would never recommend that.  Anything worth doing takes care and careful planning.
I hope this has been helpful. If so pay it forward. 
Well okay then! Get started!  And after you've done all of that, come back and holla at a sistah and maybe we can network and you can return the favor!

No comments:

Post a Comment