Friday, May 13, 2011

Weekly Book Review #4: A Face of Prozac One Woman’s Journey Through Eating Disorders, Anxiety, And Really, Really Bad PMS.


We all have issues right? Let’s just be honest. I could list mine, but that would be counterproductive, so I won’t go there. But Jennifer A. Carle does.

In her book A Face of Prozac, she candidly broaches the subject of mental health disorders, eating disorders, anxiety and depression with such authenticity that at times it makes you want to cringe. You cringe because you know that she’s talking about herself and her own personal experiences and it’s not just some fictional character that you’re emotionally connecting with, it’s the author.

I read this book in a few short hours, which I know isn’t saying much, seeing that it’s  a mere 100 pages long. But that’s the beauty of this book. She gets straight to the point. She lays her issues on the line with a comic flair that adds to the ease of reading, A Face of Prozac.

Jennifer A. Carle takes her readers on a journey of her life and through the bumpy terrain she’s traveled along the way as she faces her problems head on. This author proves that coming to the realization that you have a problem is only half the battle, tackling those problems is the next and maybe the most difficult step.

A Face of Prozac is an honest look at a real person’s self acceptance despite her issues. An obstructed view of a life less than perfect through Jennifer A. Carle’s eyes.

The following is an interview with Jennifer A. Carle, author of A Face of Prozac:

Tanya: First of all, I want to thank you for being so candid in your book A Face of Prozac.
1)Was it difficult to speak so frankly about yourself? Did you find it liberating to ‘come clean’ about some things that you were holding inside?

Jennifer: Liberating is an interesting choice of words. I would not wish what has happened to me physically and psychologically on anyone. I have taken prozac over the years for many different reasons, and it works for me. I felt that I had to write this book so that one person would not have to go through all the confusion, self loathing and misdiagnoses that I did. So in a sense, I’m hoping I liberate someone else.

Tanya: I’ve often thought about writing an autobiography, but aside from me thinking that it wouldn’t be interesting enough, I was always so concerned about what my family would think about it.
2) Did you have that fear and how did you overcome it? How accepting was your family about you telling your story?

Jennifer: This was an incredibly hard book to write. My first book, about a dog I adopted from the Maryland SPCA, wrote itself. I literally typed the words that came out of nowhere. The prozac book was all me, and there was a lot I didn’t want to put out there for the world to see. I didn’t want to throw my family under the bus; I didn’t want them to think that if I had different parents or a different husband and kids, none of this would have happened. So I gave all my adult family members a copy of the manuscript and told them if there was any content that they felt shouldn’t be in the book, as long as it didn’t change the tone of the story, I would edit it. No one said anything, so I think they understood that the book is my story from memories that I have. No one else can own this book.

Tanya: Mental illness is such a taboo subject and sadly it doesn’t have the respect of physical health conditions.
3) How did you decide to make this a topic for your book?

Jennifer: I have been through hell and back on at least 4 separate occasions. Prozac works for me. Having premenstrual dysphoric disorder is awful. It’s not a bad day or a bad period. It’s having your body and mind betray you. I thought if I could help just one person not go through what I did, the book would be worth the angsting I put myself through to write it. And honestly, having people rush up to my table to tell me that they are the one person my book helped is very satisfying.

Tanya: I thank you so much for your honesty.
4) Do you have any words of encouragement for my readers and aspiring writers?

Jennifer: This is going to sound lame, but really, if I can do it, anyone can.

Thanks again Jennifer!
 
A Face of Prozac is Jennifer A. Carle’s second book. Her first book Finally Winsome are about dogs that she adopted from a local shelter. Proceeds from the sale of those books go to one of three local shelters. Her most recent book entitled, My College Boyfriend Dumped Me for You: Can I Add You as a Friend? as well as her other books can be purchased at jennifercarle.tateauthor.com. Order your copies today!

No comments:

Post a Comment