Monday, May 2, 2011

Weekly Book Review #3: Snake Walkers by J.Everett Prewitt

Snake Walkers is the story of a boy who wanders into the Arkansas woods in 1948 and witnesses the brutal lynching of another young man. Torn between shame and fear, he is traumatized by the event.

As an adult, Anthony Andrews dreams of becoming a reporter. He secures a job as the first black reporter at the Arkansas Sun. While there, he is given the assignment of investigating the abandonment of a small town and the disappearance of fourteen of it's white male residents. His quest for answers inevitably leads him to a family that harbors a tightly kept secret that they'll do anything within their power to keep that way.

I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Prewitt last fall at an event where he was the guest speaker. I was impressed by how freely he was willing to share information, to enlighten, and encourage his audience of readers and aspiring writers. After the event I received his book, Snake Walkers as a gift from the coordinators of the event. And I must say I thoroughly enjoyed it. I started reading it and I could not put it down.

Snake Walkers has all the elements of a good read. It has drama, suspense, mystery, romance, murder and a touch of comedy. But it is written in a way that is family friendly. I felt emotionally connected to each of the characters, which was a huge draw for me.

I have never read a book before that promotes such a powerful theme of love of family, family unity and of core family values among African Americans, (I am not saying that these books don’t exist, I’m just saying that I haven't read any).

Snake Walkers is such an important novel that it is on the top of my list for must reads for school curriculums. I believe this should be required reading for students, because it is such a well written story that touches on so many elements of African American history. We see an African American family unlike those often portrayed in our history books and in the media. Such a refreshing change!

Snake Walkers is a mystery novel set in the 1960’s. It is touching and suspenseful, with all of the twists and turns that will keep you flipping its pages.

Snake Walkers is a first novel for J. Everett Prewitt.

The following is an interview with J. Everett Prewitt, author of Snake Walkers:

Tanya: Mr. Prewitt your novel Snake Walkers kept me captivated. Your descriptions of the people and places were so vivid and detailed that I felt I was in the woods with Anthony, seeing and feeling the things he experienced.
You touched on so many things in your novel such as racism, hidden and blatant, inner demons, class differences among blacks of that era and the migration of Southern blacks to the north. Yet you were able to weave such a compelling story that was entertaining and relevant.
Is any part of this story based upon your own personal experience?

Prewitt: Yes. Tanya. I had some experiences that mirrored characters in the book. In 1966, I was one of fourteen students that set an ambush for the Klan when they planned on invading our campus at Lincoln University in Pennsylvania. Luckily, they drove by the school without stopping. I think someone tipped them off.
If they had come on campus, I probably would have written Snake Walkers from jail.
I was also a pool hustler for a period of time, so parts of Raymond William’s experiences were my experiences.

Tanya: Snake Walkers was such an easy read. But as readers we assume that these novels are just as easy to write.  Did you ever experience writers block? And if so how did you overcome that?

Prewitt: Oh, yes. Many times. I usually overcame it by either reading books on the same subject, conducting more research on some subject matter in the book, or reading books on how to be a better writer. As a last resort, I would read what I had already written and sometimes it spurred me to continue.

Tanya: Did writing Snake Walkers require much research?

Prewitt: Yes. I went to Arkansas, read news articles about that period, and talked to people familiar with the area. I find the more realistic the setting, the more the reader is drawn into the story. I also videotaped an interview of my father, uncle and aunt who lived in Arkansas and got information that I used in the book from their stories.

Tanya: As writers we hope that our readers are left with certain messages after reading our work.  Is that the case with you? And what message do you hope for your readers to get after reading Snake Walkers?

Prewitt: No one is "above the fray" when it comes to fighting injustice. Your strength comes from within. A strong, supportive family is essential when confronting insurmountable odds. Persistence and an open mind are necessary to navigate the treacherous mazes of life.

Tanya: Snake Walkers is a great book. I look forward to reading more from you. Is there anything new in the works?

Prewitt: I’m working on a few things: (1) A book of short stories titled The Last Time I Saw Willie (2) I’m working on a sequel to Snake Walkers titled Two Wolves (3) I also hope to write a non-fiction work about the Glenville community from 1950-1970.

Tanya: Any words of wisdom for my readers and aspiring writers?

Prewitt: Everybody has a story. Those who wish to write it need to be persistent, curious about what makes a good writer and willing to sacrifice time, energy and money to make your book happen. I took writing courses, bought numerous books on writing and joined a writer’s critique group which helped me immensely.

Tanya: Thanks you so much for your time Mr. Prewitt. It’s been a pleasure.

J. Everett Prewitt, master story teller, novelist and winner of Best Books 2005 Awards, Fresh Voices Book Award, Best Fiction Los Angeles, Black Book Expo 2005 and winner of ForeWord Magazine’s Book of the Year 2005.

Oh and did I mention that he’s self published?

J. Everett Prewitt is available for book signings.

Snake Walkers is available online at Amazon, Borders and Loganberry books.  The Kindle edition of Snake Walkers is also available.  Get your copy today!                       

No comments:

Post a Comment